Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Good Starts...

Well, this year has started out with a 'bang', and I mean that literally.  I could hear the start gun go off, even before the calendar rolled over, and I'm not complaining one bit. 
So far, I've lost 7 pounds on my new lifestyle change (NOT a New Year's Resolution...this was in the works way before...it just happened to coincide), and still going strong, I might add.
And this past weekend, although we didn't get to see our grandsons as planned over the New Year's weekend, we did get to go down to NC and spend the day with them Saturday.  I guess I should clarify that....Irb and I went down.  Keith was sick and couldn't go, more's the pity.  It just wasn't the same without him.  Still...we've decided to start going down once a month, so it won't be long before he gets to spend some time with them of his own.
We started the day early so we could get down to Murphy by 10am, which is when the boys' basketball game started.
  We'd not had a chance to see one of their games yet, and were really looking forward to it.  Halfway down, we discovered that, although I had been prepared enough to remember to bring my food for the day, I hadn't brought my purse. With all the money in it.  And credit cards.
Hyeah.  Fortunately, Irb had a few bucks with him, and the company credit card...and we were driving the Honda, which is great on gas.  So, we decided to keep going....so glad we did! The game was great, although the boys didn't get to play as much as usual, and their team lost.  Still, we enjoyed watching them hustle.  Even though they need some work, you can tell that they will be very good in another couple of years, if they stick with it. And I believe (and hope) that they will. 
After the game, we headed to McDonald's for lunch, mainly because it was freezing cold, and because they have a great indoor play area that we could let the boys play in.  We also let them open their Christmas presents then, which they had great fun doing, and I took some shots of them goofing around.  After a bit, I could tell they were getting a bit restless, so I asked them what they would like to do.  We had a few hours to kill before we had to meet back up with Katrina, and they surprised me with a request to go to the library. Apparently, they'd seen a red-tailed hawk on the way to school, and wanted to research them.  So, off to the library, we went.  Unfortunately, it closed five minutes after we arrived, so it was necessary to fall back to Plan B....which, in this case, meant the park.
We'd actually wanted to do that all along, so we could play with the boys' RC helicopters, but aside from the temperature (which fortunately DID warm up significantly in the afternoon), they were also in need of batteries AND charging...two things we couldn't provide at the moment. 
So the boys asked if we could go for a hike along the river walk instead. This turned out to be a great plan, first because I really needed to get in a workout that I hadn't expected to be able to do, since I was traveling, and second, because, unbeknownst to any of us, the city had been working on an expansion of the trail, and so there wound up being quite a lot of new territory for us to explore.
All in all, it took us about an hour and a half to complete, including some intricate study of train track switching systems, and we had a great time, ending up playing at the playground for about a half an hour until it was time to meet Katrina. I think Irb had as much fun there as the boys did.
The trip home was fairly uneventful, and we only had to put an additional 15 bucks on the credit card for gas!  I tell ya, that little Honda's some kind of awesome.  Just wish it was 4wd.
Sunday was great, and I got a lot done, including resting up from Saturday's escapades.  Can't wait to go back down on February 2nd!

No comments:

Post a Comment