Friday, May 15, 2009

Day 286...

So, I'm sitting here, thinking about this new creation I've designed, staring at my new blog page in all its glory, and I wonder....why does this seem so important to me? Seems like it's taken on a life of its own. Of course, I've always been a communicator...I'm a Gemini, for pete's sake. If I can't talk, I explode. That's the creed I live by. Ask anyone who's been around me in person for even five minutes, and they will vehemently agree...usually accompanied by a roll of the eyes.
But as much as I love to talk and write, even back 3 or 4 years ago, I wasn't as prolific with my writing as I am now. These days, I seem to constantly be on a keyboard, emailing, texting, posting, blogging. In fact, back then I was doing good to check my email. So why the change?
Part of it, I think, has to do with age, and time. In the past 6 years, I've lost two of the most important and influential people in my life...first my husband, Bill, and then my father. Losses like that tend to make one introspective, to say the least. On top of that, my children have all flown the coop, leaving me battling empty nest syndrome with a vengeance...compounded by the fact that they all live in different states, and none of them are in mine.
Then there's Alan. Always.
My knight in shining armor who swept me off my feet when I least expected it. The wind beneath my wings. The other half of my soul. Everything begins and ends with him.
Being seven hours and hundreds of miles away with incredibly limited means of communication is wearing thin, to say the least. And we've been doing this since the beginning. In August, we'll be celebrating our third anniversary, and yet...we're still apart.
Now, I've moved to TN, where I'm doing my best to establish new roots into the bedrock of these healing mountains for both of us. But it's harder than it seems...I know noone here other than my in-laws. Having always been surrounded with a surplus of family and friends, I now find myself at times feeling as adrift as an empty boat on a lonely sea. I cannot share my life right now...that need must be shelved until February. But I can share my heart with those who will listen...and as a matter of self-preservation, I find myself doing this more and more.
Thank God for Outlander....a little paperback book I picked up years ago. Who knew what roads it would eventually lead me down? The support of its fans has garnered me lifelong friends, and a support group beyond parallel. My friends have proven to be my salvation, after all. And if, by blogging, I manage to stave off the ever-impending explosion...so much the better, aye?

2 comments:

  1. My life (special needs child) and lifestyle (married) and employ (stressful 911 job) leave me little time for face to face socialization. Its been that way for years. But I found that distance can make for some great relationships between girlfriends. My best friend in the world lives in Pennsylvania. And you know what? I've never met her face to face. We talk on the phone and email and facebook and eventually hope to get a weekend or vacation together but that's it. Treasure what you have instead of bemoaning what you don't. ;-)
    Love ya girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill... our situations are different, as are the two of us... but I feel what you're saying, as if the words had come from my own musings.

    You might not be physically surrounded by friends and family, as you are accustomed, but you are never alone in spirit!!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete