Monday, October 5, 2009

Day 143...Catch-up

I'm running so far behind with my posting that I thought I'd just try to do a blanket post to hit some high spots...

Sept 10th was a great day. That was the day my daughter Shanna flew in to town to bring my grandson, Keith to visit his Nana. They stayed until Monday, and we had such a wonderful visit. Friday, they spent with my in-laws while I was at work. Saturday morning, I had a 10k to run, (which was my worst one yet, btw...equal parts bad weather conditions, very poor event organization, and lack of adequate preparation on my part... :P) but that afternoon the weather cleared enough for us to attend the Elizabethton Celtic Festival. It was small, but still great fun. There were a lot of craftspeople there, showing off their skills, a few clan tents and vendors, even a band or two! But the absolute best part was when we found the House of Douglas tent...fresh scones topped with strawberries and whipped cream! Mmmmmm.... Life doesn't get any better than that, people. It was worth the price of admission all by itself.
Sunday morning, we went to church, and afterward, my mother in law offered to babysit so Shanna and I could have a little time to explore. Naturally, I took her to my two favorite places...Backbone Rock, and Roan Mtn. It was a really beautiful day, perfect for a drive through the mountains. When I took her up to the falls, she was speechless. No amount of pictures does this place justice, it's like a cathedral made of trees. The canopy is easily more than 100 feet overhead, and the reverence of the place defies description. I never fail to be moved, it's one of the places up here where I feel closest to God, and I can not wait to share it with Alan when he comes home. I know he will feel the same.
As reluctant as we were to leave, I really wanted to get her to Roan Mtn in time to see the view before the sun set. It took some fancy driving, but we did get there in time enough to get up the mountain and get settled right as the sun was setting. Normally, I'm down before then, because there are a couple of patches of woods you have to go through, and it gets dark in there. Moreover, it gets dark as pitch up there, period, when the sun goes down due to the lack of big city lights. Having made the climb, though, it was unthinkable not to take in the view...especially since it was her first trip up there, so I just sat back and enjoyed her taking it all in. Not moving, not...breathing, for fear that she might blink and that incredible...awesome...view would be gone.
We hadn't been there long, though, before we started losing our light, for real. I was snapping pics like crazy, thinking that it might be a while before I could get any more, and that I was sure Shanna'd want to have as many pics as possible to remember this. Just at the last possible second, I snapped one final pic in the last rays of the dying sun, and as soon as I did, I knew what I had....this was IT. See for yourself...
I can't believe how truly awesome this shot turned out to be. I wanted to send out for reprints immediately (which I did), and this is now officially my favorite pic. :)
It was a real challenge to get back down the mountain through the pitch black woods with no flashlight, but we made it in record time, and had such a great time in the process. I was so glad to have been able to share my favorite spots with her, and am looking forward to sharing them soon with Jes and Ian's families, too....just as soon as I can get them up here, that is. Probably February.

No comments:

Post a Comment